Are you interested in majoring in a math or science major in the College Liberal Arts and Sciences? Are you excited about challenging yourself in STEM courses but would like help navigating these majors? The Math and Science First Learning Community may be just what you are looking for to help you succeed in your first year at UNC Charlotte! This Learning Community is a one-year program available to freshmen who have declared a major (or intend to declare) in one of the following areas of study: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Geology, Meteorology, and Environmental Science. The Learning Community curriculum was designed based on the degree requirements for these majors.
Students joining the Math and Science First Learning Community will enroll in common classes in both the Fall and Spring Semesters, ensuring immediate peer support and collaboration in core classes. Students will also engage in co-curricular activities both on and off campus to further cultivate their interests and success in their chosen fields of study.
Participation in the learning community comes with several benefits that can increase your success in college, including:
- Community of peers with similar academic interests
- Resources and support for freshman Math and Science courses
- Individualized academic advising
- Early contact with faculty in your desired area of study
- Early introduction to campus resources (Career Center, University Center for Academic Excellence, Advising Center, etc.)
- Career and goal coaching